Friday, May 27, 2011

The Baseball Park Rat

Our lives are in a state of constant movement all of the time.  Two boys, one year apart, in two different baseball leagues equals stuff going on all of the time.  Both boys either have practice or a game every night of the week.  I wouldn't want it any other way, but it does tend to get crazy around our house.

I know I am not alone.  I have so many great friends that are just as busy (some even busier).  They understand when I tell them that I ended up in the wrong parking lot with the right kid at the wrong practice.  There are some things that even a well mapped out calendar can't help.  Sometimes it takes a moment of tears on the steering wheel, re-grouping and moving on.  I AM the weak link in the carpool.  Well, we all survive these moments of madness and when it comes right down to it, there is nothing better than watching your kids do what they love.

With that being said, I would like to take a moment to recognize the baseball park rat.  I was one (hats off to Beaverdale Little League).  I roamed the ballpark while my brothers played ball.  I spent all of my money at the concession stand.  I idolized Melissa Chacon, one of the first girls to play baseball on the boys baseball team.  I was filthy every night from the dusty parking lot and had a gang of friends who were also ballpark rats.  Hanging out at the ballpark got baseball in my blood and inspired me to be an athlete.


Well, I am proud to say that my daughter is now a ballpark rat.  She has been a football park rat and a basketball court rat as well.  It doesn't really matter what sport the boys are playing or where they are at, it always shakes out the same.

We pack snacks.  We arrive at the game.  Molly sits with me for about 2 minutes and then is off with her pack of friends playing in the park, bleachers or waiting for a nearby game to end, so she can get in line for team snacks.  She has learned to wait silently in the shadows until other kids wander up to claim what is left once the kids on the team have gotten their snacks.

This is Molly's life in a nutshell.  She gets off the bus after school. We eat dinner at around 4:15pm, in a panic.  We head out the door to drop someone off at practice, only to head over to the other one's game.  As usual, when the boys both have games, I play a zone defense (Molly and Daniel), while Jake plays a man to man (he coaches Cal's baseball team). 
Each night is a complete surprise to Molly that we have to leave to go to a game.  I say that we need to hurry up.  She asks where we are going and when I tell her, she complains about going.  Most nights she runs upstairs to put on something spectacular for the game. This is also the same lady that we have to beg to leave the park once the game is over.  She is a trooper.  She is a strong lady and so this is why I take the time to recognize the baseball park rat.


Hats off to you and your gang of little brothers and sisters that show up to every game and do the same thing all over again.  We cheer for your older siblings, but you deserve a moment of recognition as well.  It is almost your turn.  I wonder what we will be adding to our already crazy sports calendar in the future.  You better believe that we will make sure your brothers will be cheering you on!





1 comment:

  1. That sounds like Alayna ~ too bad she's still a mischievous little 2 year old that needs to be watched like a hawk. She does seem to do the dirty baseball/softball face extremely well too!

    ReplyDelete